Boost performance and increase stability with our Elden Ring low FPS guide. Here are a few great methods for the latest action RPG of FromSoftware.
Elden Ring finally came out to take the players to a perilous world called the Lands Between. While the game received a fantastic reception from the critics, the technical issues caused a negative backlash from the users. FromSoftware’s latest fantasy epic does offer a fantastic experience. But the FPS drops and constant stuttering damage the game’s immersion. And in a game where fast reactions are the key to beating the enemy, low FPS is the last thing we need.
We came up with a list of the best methods to increase FPS in the critically-acclaimed RPG. Here’s how to boost stability and get a smoother experience during your journey in the Lands Between.
Play the game in Borderless Window
Elden Ring players reported that playing the game in the borderless window setting resulted in better performance. Here’s how to change the screen mode.
- Open Elden Ring.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Click on Graphics.
- Select Screen Mode and choose Borderless Windowed.
- Click OK and exit.
Try optimizing the graphics settings in the method below if this one didn’t help you.
Use the best graphics settings for Elden Ring.
While the smart thing is to lower the graphics settings in other games, we will do the exact opposite in Elden Ring. This demanding action RPG works better when the graphics settings are adjusted to high or medium.
- Texture Quality: High
- Antialiasing Quality: High
- Motion Blur: High
- SSAO: High
- Depth of Field: Off
- Lighting Quality: High
- Shadow Quality: Medium
- Volumetric Quality: Low
- Effects Quality: High
- Water Surface Quality: Low
- Reflection Quality: Low
- Shader Quality: High
- Global Illumination: Medium
- Grass Quality: High
These settings will hopefully help you get a more smooth experience while preserving the visual quality.
Make sure your GPU is using its full potential.
Optimizing graphics settings can improve performance and fix stuttering. Most players reported that optimizing graphics settings increased the game’s stability.
- Open the Windows search box and type Graphics Settings.
- Open the settings window.
- Select Desktop app, under Choose an app to set preference.
- Click on Browse.
- Open the game’s installation directory and choose eldenring.exe.
- The default location of the game’s launcher is C:\Program Files (X86\Steam\steamapps\common\ELDEN RING\Game
- Click on Options after adding the launcher.
- Select High Performance instead of Windows’ preference.
- Save and exit.
Try the other methods as well to fix FPS drops in Elden Ring.
Update your drivers.
AMD and NVIDIA regularly send updates for GPUs to ensure an optimal experience in new titles. Updating your graphics card can increase stability and boost performance in Elden Ring.
- Here’s how to update graphics drivers:
For NVIDIA users:
- If you have an NVIDIA GPU, head to the search engine and type GeForce Experience.
- Download the software from the official website.
- Run GeForce Experience and wait for it to detect updates.
- After the software comes up with the new update packages for your GPU, click download and install to complete the process.
For AMD users:
- If you have an AMD graphics card, head to the search engine and type Catalyst Software.
- Download the app from the official AMD website.
- Install and run the software to update the drivers of AMD.
Disable Steam Overlay.
Steam in-game interface might be causing drops in frame rates. Here’s how to disable the overlay.
- Open Steam.
- Head to the settings window from the drop-down menu under Steam.
- Select Settings.
- Access In-Game panel.
- Uncheck the option Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Well, that’s it. These are some of the best methods for the low framerates. The publisher Bandai Namco apologized for the bad performance and stated that they are working on new patches. So hopefully, Elden Ring will get more stable in the future.